History of the School Sisters of Saint FrancisOn September 12, 1873, three courageous religious women arrived in New York from Germany. Two of them, Sister M. Alexia and Sister M. Alfons, were destined to become the foundresses of the School Sisters of Saint Francis.
School Sisters of Saint Francis embrace the tradition of Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi. "We live our Gospel call in our ministries and in our community life and relationships. Our focus is giving, healing and defending life. As Franciscan women we strive to live in harmony with all of creation, guided by four fundamental Franciscan values: Conversion, Prayer, Poverty and Minority," borrowed from the School Sisters of St. Francis website.
The School Sisters of Saint Francis are an international Franciscan community of more than 1,050 sisters and associates serving in education, prayer, healing, social and pastoral ministries in Europe, Latin America, India, and the United States. With the international offices in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the School Sisters of Saint Francis have several sponsored ministries, one of which is New Cassel.